Why We Have a Mission Endowment Fund
Mission Endowment funds can:
- Help our church reach out in service to others.
- Help care for facilities.
- Encourage us to be better stewards.
- Provide scholarships to aid those preparing for ministry.
- Provide a vehicle for charitable giving.
- Help support new, visionary programs.
Mission Endowment funds provide donors an opportunity to:
- Make a permanent gift from accumulated assets.
- Provide on-going support for a favorite ministry.
- Leave a legacy that will be remembered over time.
- Celebrate significant life events.
By supporting the Mission Endowment, We believe …
- in the future of our church.
- that what we have is a trust from God.
- in building a sense of permanence in what we do.
- in being good stewards as a church family.
- in providing ministries that were once only dreams.
- in continuing the heritage we enjoy for future generations.
- in providing another opportunity for people to give.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes this gift different from other forms of church giving?
Our Mission Endowment Fund is a permanent fund and only its earnings will be spent. When funds are available and distributed, they will support projects above and beyond normal budgeted items. Funded projects can be inside or outside St. John’s.
Are endowment fund gifts tax deductible?
Your gifts to the St. John’s Lutheran Church Mission Endowment Fund may be deductible for Federal Income Tax purposes. Bequests, life income gifts and other donations of value are generally exempt from Federal Estate and Gift taxes.
Who administers the fund?
The Mission Endowment Fund Committee decides how the fund’s earnings will be distributed and used. The Committee will accept recommendations for fund use and ensure that distributions are used to extend and support ministries of the church and educational and charitable work in the local and international community.
What kinds of gifts can be made to our Mission Endowment fund?
There are many types of gifts that could benefit our mission endowment fund. A few of them are:
- Real estate
- Personal property
- Stocks and bonds
- Life insurance
- Bequests from 401k and IRA’s
Is my gift too small?
Because all gifts are pooled in the fund, they have a cumulative effect making even the smallest gift significant. Every gift contributes to the overall growth of the principal amount, which compounds the return on investments.
What is a planned gift?
A planned gift to the church is a financial gift structured to serve the needs of the church as well as the giver, such as:
- Charitable gift annuities, which provide payments for life, tax benefits and ultimately benefit our mission endowment fund.
- Bequests, designating a gift in your personal will to St. John’s Mission Endowment Fund.
- IRA or Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan by naming St. John’s Mission Endowment Fund as your beneficiary.
- Life Insurance, by naming St. John’s Mission Endowment Fund as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy, or donating a fully paid life insurance policy.
Can I contribute a special gift?
Special gifts are a great way to show others how much you care about them and your congregation. These include:
- Memorial gifts in remembrance of a family member or a church member.
- Tribute gifts recognizing special occasions such as anniversaries, birthdays, achievements, retirements, graduations and promotions.
For further information on our Mission Endowment Fund, please call the church office and ask to speak to the chair of the Mission Endowment Committee, Pete Norlander.